A.O.O.F.C
recommends
Mizar6

babydancing




Get this crazy baby off my head!

12.4.09

Lee Gates




Lee Gates - Black Lucy´s Deuce - 2006 - Music Maker

“Lee Gates remains a local legend, although this release may soon rectify that…plenty of stomping good-time party blues as Gates unleashes some aggressive, stinging axe work.” - BAD DOG BLUES

"Gates delivers a blast of back-alley danger the likes of which we seldom hear anymore in blues." - David Whiteis, Living Blues

The obscure Milwaukee-based journeyman singer and guitarist, Lee Gates plays old-school , working man blues. There is nothing mindblowing here, but Lee's 11 original tunes are beautifully played, with the same sense of abandon of his cousin, the great Albert Collins. His style is reminiscent of the great B.B King. Lee Gates enjoys his music, and you will too. "Black Lucy´s Deuce" is HR by A.O.O.F.C. Buy his great "Lee Gates and the Alabama Cotton Kings" album. Promote this guy !

TRACKS

Get Drunk Baby & Party All Night Long
My Wife Left Me A Long Time Ago
Black Lucy Moanin´ The Blues
Funkin´
In Deep Up To My Neck
The Best Lover I´d Ever Had
Too Much Traffic In My House Today
Help Me Baby Long As I Live
Cool´s Groove
Deuce´s Wild

All songs composed by Lee Gates

MUSICIANS

Lee Gates - vocals, guitar
Cool John Ferguson - guitar
Sol - bass
Ardie Dean - drums

ABOUT LEE GATES

Lee Gates one of Milwaukee's pre-eminent blues musicians was born December 20, 1937 in Pontotoc, Mississippi. His parents Brice and Inez Gates were both guitarists, "My mother was the one the one who got me started. I was about 14 when she got me an electric guitar. " In 1959 Lee migrated to Milwaukee where he found work performing with the house band at Wilson's Club at 10th and Center Streets for 15 years straight. It is not until 1974 that he met his legendary cousin Albert Collins. "My daddy's brother had a lot of kids out there in Texas. I never met them as a child, but we all knew of each other. When Albert came to Milwaukee I showed him around and we did some gigs together. Every time he came to town we would go out and eat supper together, he was a good friend to me." In October of 2003 Lee called me up and announced that he was coming to Hillsborough. I asked him what for and Lee replied, "To make a CD." I asked Lee if he wouldn't mind going down to Alabama to record. Two days later Lee caught a Greyhound to Huntsville, he missed a layover in Nashville and got in early the next morning and went straight to the studio with Ardie Dean. Lee proclaimed the record done in three hours and was soon on a bus heading back home. One must rejoice in the "happening" of this CD, especially the glorious tone of Lee's guitar. After performing for 52 years I have a feeling that Lee is just beginning his recording career. © Timothy Duffy, Hillsborough, NC, 10.28.03, © cdbaby.com