A.O.O.F.C
recommends
Mizar6

babydancing




Get this crazy baby off my head!

14.8.11

Laurence Juber



Laurence Juber - LJ Plays the Beatles, Vol. 2 - 2010 - Solid Air

Laurence Juber has done it again! LJ Plays The Beatles Vol. 2 is an album of 15 great Lennon-McCartney songs superbly arranged for solo guitar. The original LJ Plays The Beatles has become a true classic, showing up on virtually every list of all-time great acoustic guitar albums, and this one is just as great. Well, even "better" if you consider that it has 15 tracks to its predecessor's 14. This CD has been eagerly awaited by acoustic guitar fans around the world, and I am confident in predicting that it will be THE great acoustic guitar CD of 2010. The creativity in LJ's arrangement does full justice to some of the greatest songs ever written. Any one of his arrangements would be a masterpiece for most guitarists, and a set of 15 is nothing short of amazing. Several guitarists have recorded fine CDs of Beatle songs, but they hold a special place in LJ's heart. After all, he played in Wings along side Paul McCartney, and has recorded with George Harrison and Ringo Starr. Even a quick look through his long discography will show Beatles songs appearing on most of his albums. In each case the arrangements have a feeling and veracity that marks them as artistic creations in their own right while at the same time paying homage to the songwriters and their work. Penny Lane is a rousing start to the CD, with its bouncing bass and light-as-air melody. Beyond maintaining more of the original's music than might seem possible, LJ perfectly captures the feel of the song. The trumpet solo is a masterful combination of the actual trumpet part with the need for a full accompaniment. This is no mean feat, and I have heard a number of versions that fall down at this point either because they just play the trumpet part which leaves a huge gap in the song, or they play the solo in the trombone register which just sounds strange. One other cool touch is the very ending, where LJ plays the trumpet figure that was deleted from the final song and now shows up on the Rarities CD and Anthology 2. I hear it as sort of a "wink" to Beatles fans. Eleanor Rigby presents a real challenge to an arranger. While the chords are quite simple, the sound of the string players' bows "biting" into the strings is impossible to imitate with a guitar. Here LJ wisely picks up motives from the string parts and keeps them going during the verse, a technique so effective that you are liable to forget the original string arrangement. Of course this is aided by LJ's almost uncanny imitation of a cello, and his weaving of important violin and viola lines in with the melody. Another brilliant solution to a difficult problem. Drive My Car is a softer arrangement that brings out the songs R&B and bluesy sides. The solo is wonderful with a very nice imitation of slide guitar. Rather than fade out at the end, LJ adds a terrific little coda that builds to a definitive ending. Great fun! I came to Here, There and Everywhere with some trepidation. This is a song that I arranged years ago and will play whenever anyone is foolish enough to let me on a stage with a guitar. I still think mine sounds pretty good, but LJ adds some exquisite touches throughout the song that makes it his own.The little melodic flourishes, and even the way single notes are played, are simply beautiful. One of the Beatles' best played by one of the guitar's best. You Can't Do That was one of the real surprises for me. The original has such nice interplay between the guitars and one of John Lennon's most searing vocals. LJ presents the songs in a milder version that grows in intensity right through the solo, and then falls into an easier swing permeated throughout by that great riff. That and a perfect ending. You might think that Blackbird would be easy to play solo as it is mostly solo guitar and voice, but the guitar part actually moves pretty far afield of the melody for much of the song. LJ finds just the right balance between playing the original guitar part and staying true to the melody. The bluesy touches that he adds to the melody present it in a subtly new light, while the whole song sounds just effortless. A great one to just sit back and enjoy. From the very first note (and all guitarists will get the reference when they hear it) you know that I Feel Fine is going to be an authentic version. It's all there, the riffs, the lead solo, the great melody and the harmony. Everyone will enjoy this one, but the guitarists will be taking out their instruments to try to figure out just how LJ got all of this into the arrangement. (Don't worry, there will be a music / tab book of the CD coming out soon!) Dear Prudence is equally amazing. In addition to the beautiful melody we get John's fingerpicking guitar and George's great lead breaks all in one seamless presentation. This is one of my favourite tracks, an absolute gem.I gained a new respect for When I'm Sixty-Four last summer when I played it with my friend Markku Wainman at CAAS in Nashville. LJ manages to do things solo that we could not do with two guitars, and it sounds wonderful. Hats off to a stellar arranger and great guitarist! Please Please Me was another surprise and a real revelation for me. As it began I wondered why the opening riff was played so low, until I realized how it set off the melody when it entered. This song is like a short master class in building an effective arrangement. There are all sorts of masterful touches like the octaves in the guitar that appear in the middle, and the "backing vocals" played by slapping the chord behind the melody. I doubt I am the only one who had to listen to this one again right away. There is a lot to learn here, as well as to just enjoy. And speaking of building an arrangement, No Reply is another great one. LJ begins softly and builds in volume and richness on each successive verse. I would never have thought this song could sound so good on solo guitar. But if we are talking unlikely songs for solo guitar, is there one less likely than I Am The Walrus? This one is just incredible! There is so much in there, I can't imagine how LJ could have made it more authentic without actually reciting the snatches of dialogue from King Lear! A powerhouse. A tour de force. An unexpected delight is All I've Got To Do. This is not a song that you hear as often as other Beatles hits, but as this arrangement points up it has a beautiful melody and a characteristic atmosphere that is all its own. You are in for a real treat with this one. An inspired choice. Michelle seems to have entered America's consciousness again with Sir Paul's receiving the Gershwin Prize at the White House. LJ plays this beautiful song perfectly right through the guitar solo with a lush, luxuriant tone. When he breaks away into an inspired cadenza he breathes new life into the song that races to a climax before putting on the brakes to end with as much decorum as he started with. With the release of Let It Be - Naked the world was finally able to hear The Long And Winding Road as its composer meant it to sound. It reveals the beauty of the melody along with the very rich piano accompaniment, some of Paul McCartney's finest piano work. LJ manages to retain the beautifully rich harmonies while keeping the melody front and centre. All the fine touches are there in this captivating end to one of the finest collections of arrangements recorded. Yes this is a rave because this is one of those great CDs that come along all too rarely. The combination of one of the world's very finest guitarists and arrangers with some of the greatest songs ever written has resulted in this most magnificent album. Don't take my word for it. Buy it and hear it for yourself. You will not regret your purchase. It is simply sensational! You can buy this fantastic CD from Acoustic Music Resource (http://www.acousticmusicresource.com/cat.php?cPath=7) OR from :Amazon.com © 2010 David Walker http://www.davewalkermusic.com/page2/LJ_BeatlesVol2.html

People are forever making lists of "All Time Greatest Guitarists", and "Best Guitarists Of All Time". Guaranteed, there is always somebody omitted from these lists who deserve a high ranking, and Laurence Juber is one of those guitarists. "LJ Plays the Beatles, Vol. 2" is a brilliant solo acoustic guitar arrangement of 15 Lennon & McCartney songs by Grammy award winner and former Wings lead guitarist Laurence Juber. In 2000, Laurence released "LJ Plays the Beatles" which was voted one of Acoustic Guitar magazine’s top 10 all-time acoustic albums. Laurence, speaking about this 2nd album said that "Every time I hear a Beatles record I gain a new appreciation. Above and beyond the analytical part of it and creating the arrangements, when I start deconstructing Beatles songs, I find unexpected things. I can never listen to a Beatles record twice and hear exactly the same thing. There’s always something that I’ve missed, or a new discovery where you say, “Wow, what was that little guitar lick?” Or the way in which the backing vocals come in…there’s always something. And in a way, it’s a reason why I decided to do LJ Plays the Beatles Vol. 2. In the decade since Vol.1 , I’ve learned a lot in terms of my guitar artistry and was willing to apply that to a fresh batch of Beatles songs". There are countless covers of songs by Lennon & McCartney. Although many of the memorable parts of some of the Beatle's great songs were created in the studio by George Martin, the melodic inventive genius of Lennon & McCartney is the mainstay of most of the Beatles songs. All of the compositions stand on their own. It is always great to hear a musician who can bring something "new" to these classic songs, and Laurence Juber manages to do that brilliantly. The album is VHR by A.O.O.F.C . [All tracks @ 320 Kbps: File size = 102 Mb]. Buy Laurence's amazing "Altered Reality" album. For another magnificent collection of Beatles acoustic guitar covers, check out Stephen Bennett's awe inspiring "Beatles Acoustic Guitar Solos" @ STEPHBENN/BAGS

TRACKS

1 Penny Lane 2:42
2 Eleanor Rigby 2:24
3 Drive My Car 2:25
4 Here There & Everywhere 2:26
5 You Can't Do That 3:07
6 Blackbird 2:32
7 I Feel Fine 2:26
8 Dear Prudence 4:03
9 When I'm Sixty-Four 2:29
10 Please Please Me 2:58
11 No Reply 3:18
12 I Am the Walrus 4:30
13 All I've Got To Do 3:36
14 Michelle 2:30
15 The Long & Winding Road 3:13

All songs by John Lennon & Paul McCartney

SHORT BIO

Acoustic guitarist, composer, and producer Laurence Juber, known by many of his fans simply as "LJ," was born and raised in London. By the time he was 13, he began to earn money by performing at local get-togethers. A couple of years later he took up the study of classical guitar and then went on to earn a music degree from the London University, Goldsmith College. He also performed as a soloist with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra. Around the mid-'70s, Juber found work as a session player. He perfected his skills as a variable guitarist along the way and earned a respected name for himself in the profession. In 1978 he joined the Paul McCartney group Wings as lead guitarist, where he spent the next two years. During this time Juber won a Grammy award for Best Rock Instrumental for the tune "Rockestra" off the album Back to the Egg. In the early '80s Juber left his homeland behind and moved to Los Angeles. He easily slipped back into session work. He did a lot of work for hit television shows like Home Improvement, Seventh Heaven, Boy Meets World, and Roseanne, as well as noted movies such as Dirty Dancing, Splash, Doc Hollywood, Pocahontas, Snow Day, Good Will Hunting, and many others. In 1990 Juber signed with the Beachwood Records label, which belonged to fellow artist and friend James Lee Stanley. That very year Juber recorded his solo debut album, Solo Flight. It was followed three years later by Naked Guitar, and then by Winter Guitar in 1998. In 1999 Juber was named as the number one Fingerstyle Guitarist of the Year. In between numerous tours, he released three new albums for 2000 -- LJ Plays the Beatles, Naked Solos, and The Collection -- each recorded under the Solid Air Records label. © Charlotte Dillon © 2011 Rovi Corporation. All Rights Reserved http://www.allmusic.com/artist/laurence-juber-p26582/biography

13 comments:

A.O.O.F.C said...

LINK

p/w aoofc

ratso said...

I seem to be having a Beatles renaissance lately, having just discovered the two wonderful Yellow Matter Custard live albums and Chet Picks the Beatles. What is clear is that the songs are well-constructed classics and that in their 7 short years the Beatles went through more changes in direction than most bands did in 30.
Thanks for this one, Paul.

A.O.O.F.C said...

Hi,ratso. The Fab 4 covered everything - Blackbird (Folk),Strawberry Fields (Prog/Psychedelic Rock),Yer Blues (Blues), Back in the USSR (Hard Rock, Day Tripper (Soul), Penny Lane (Pop), Cat Call (Jazz). There's more, and more... I'm like you, ratso. In the last few days, I realised that I hadn't listened to The Beatles in ages. I thought their songs had been played to death. I dug out Revolver and listened to Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, Dr Robert, Got to get you into my life, etc. That album is better than Sgt.Pepper! Paul McCartney was playing Gershwin on piano as a kid! It has been said that Eleanor Rigby conforms to no recognizable style or genre of song. How many songs can you say that about? That's what I call originality! BTW, today, I was playing Strawberry Fields forever on my trusty acoustic. I have a very special arrangement of the song I use...Kills 99% of all household germs. Think I wiped out the other 1%! TTU soon, ratso. Thanks a million...P

ratso said...

You are so right about Revolver - my favourite Beatles album also. My first guitar teacher lent me that and Traffic's Mr Fantasy. Life changing. I play a few Beatles tunes to on my lovely Sanchez spanish guitar, but they only remove people....

A.O.O.F.C said...

Hi,ratso. I'm sure you're a very good guitarist. With the Sanchez, do you play any classical stuff? My life changing albums were Led Zeppelin 2, Horace Silver's "Song For My Father", Little Feat's "The Last Record Album", Steely Dan's "Royal Scam", China Crisis' "Flaunt The Imperfection", and the Beatles "White" album...There's more, but all those albums relate to important events in my life, as well as being brilliant albums. TTU soon, ratso...P

ratso said...

...sure I play classical guitar, and love all those who do it better than I. What a great set of life changing albums you have. I have been working on a list of my favourite albums, ehich includes Timeless Flight by Steve Harley.

A.O.O.F.C said...

Hi,ratso. Do you like Julia Bream's stuff? I have a list of 100 albums I like @ http://neopixeos.weebly.com/100-great-albums.html
They're not necessarily my favourite all time albums, just stuff I listen to a lot. TTU soon, ratso...P

ratso said...

...sure I like Julian. He used to play with my second guitar teacher wheever he was in town, and like me suffers from 'cocky beaks' or finger nails which curl in wards as they grow, and are the bane of a guitarists life. Try getting a good tone with that!

Great to see Court and Spark in your list. Joni released such a terrific body of work, but this will always be my favourite, and I know every lyric and nuance. The rest of your list features many albums I have never heard. More exploration is needed here.

Ciao for now Mr F....

A.O.O.F.C said...

Hi,ratso. I love Court And Spark. Joni seems to get a lot of bad press..pretentious, too smart and all that crap. Dunno why! Same with Janis Ian. Beats the crap out of the MTV and X Factor plague we have today. People must be gone tone deaf! TTU soon...P

ratso said...

,,,people who do not like Joni Mitchell are sad, and we must pity them...

A.O.O.F.C said...

Hi,ratso. I'll second that. I think "clouds got in their way". I like Court and Spark, Ladies Of The Canyon, and Turbulent Indigo. I like them all. What's your fav? ...TTU soon...P

ratso said...

...would have to be Court and Spark, but I also love Blue, Don Juan's reckless daughter, Hejira...hell all of them....

A.O.O.F.C said...

Hi,ratso. Like the Beatles, it's hard to pick one. I like her jazzier stuff. Have you heard any of David Lahm's Joni covers...brilliant stuff!...TTU soon...P